Bowl and Buddha Bowl Recipes
Egg Roll in a Bowl
This is a deconstructed egg roll; the deliciousness of an egg roll without the work. Make sure you serve it garnished with wonton strips.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely minced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thinly
- 1 (10 ounce) bag matchstick carrots
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Garnish: wonton strips, sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- Optional sauces: hoisin or duck sauce, sriracha, hot sauce, or sweet chili garlic sauce. For a creamy sauce, mix together Greek yogurt, sriracha, lime juice and salt to taste
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red onion; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ground pork and Sriracha. Cook and crumble until pork is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add coleslaw mix, red bell pepper, carrots, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, black pepper and salt, to taste, and stir until well combined. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon pork-cabbage mixture into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle with sauce of choice and garnish, if desired.
Per serving (does not include garnishes or sauces): Calories 410, Calories from Fat 260, Total Fat 29g 37%, Saturated Fat 9g 47%, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 80mg 27%, Sodium 930mg 40%, Potassium 544mg 10%, Protein 23g 45%, Total Carbohydrate 17g 6%, Dietary Fiber 4g 15%, Sugars 8g 16%, Vitamin A 1230%, Vitamin C 100%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%