Pita (Middle Eastern Bible or Pocket Bread)
- 1 envelope yeast
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in oil, sugar and salt, then stir in 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour until the dough is easy to handle. Knead for 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in a greased bowl until double in size about 1 hour.
- Punch down. Separate into 6 equal parts. Shape into balls. Cover; let rise for 30 minutes.
- Roll each ball into a 6 or 7 inch circle 1/8 inch thick. Place 2 circles in opposite corners of each of 3 ungreased cookie sheets.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees F until puffed and brown.