This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Pita (Middle Eastern Bible or Pocket Bread)
- 1 package yeast
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in oil, sugar and salt, then stir in
2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour until the dough is easy to handle. Knead for 10
- Cover and let rise in a greased bowl until double in size about 1 hour.
- Punch down. Separate into 6 equal parts. Shape into balls. Cover; let rise
- Roll each ball into a 6- or 7-inch circle 1/8-inch thick. Place 2 circles
in opposite corners of each of 3 ungreased cookie sheets.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees F until puffed and brown.