Baking Powder Biscuits
Add 1/2 cup raisins or currants to batter.
Add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract with the liquid ingredients.
Add 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cream of tartar into a bowl.
- Add shortening to flour mixture and blend together until cornmeal consistency.
- Pour milk into flour mixture slowly; add egg. Stir to stiff dough; knead 5 times. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut and bake on cookie sheet 10 to 15 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Serve with butter, hot from the oven. These can be frozen on cookie sheet.
- When frozen, store in a closed plastic bag in the freezer.
- When ready to bake, take out desired amount, and let thaw at room temperature before baking.