Blueberry Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and orange
rind together. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the shortening into
the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- In small bowl lightly beat egg with fork. Add the buttermilk to the beaten
egg, then add it to the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir until just moistened.
Add the blueberries. Stir gently just to mix. Turn dough out onto floured surface
or cloth and gently knead 3 or 4 times. Roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut
with biscuit cutter or into desired shapes. Place on lightly greased cookie
sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Mix butter with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and brush onto tops of biscuits
as they come from the oven.
Makes 12 to 15 biscuits.