- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cut butter into flour until mixture is like coarse meal. Add all other ingredients,
but only enough water to make dough into pastry consistency. Roll out on a floured
surface until very thin - 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into small rounds or squares
- size depending on your preference.
- Bake at 375 degrees F on ungreased cookie sheets until golden brown, about
10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Spread with cream cheese and your favorite preserves or jelly.