Butter Tart Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, rum or butterscotch extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup corn syrup or maple syrup
- Place raisins, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and extract in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring almost constantly, until mixture is hot, slightly thickened and just beginning to bubble, from 4 to 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly, uncovered, in the refrigerator while continuing with recipe.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, coat with cooking spray or use paper liners.
- Using a fork, stir flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until well mixed. Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in warm raisin mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in walnuts until evenly mixed. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and a cake tester inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, from 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately pour about 1 teaspoon corn syrup over top of each muffin. Cool muffins in cups for 10 minutes.
- Remove muffins to a rack.
Great warm. Store muffins in a sealed bag at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer storage, refrigerate or preferably freeze, wrapped in foil.
Nutrition per muffin: 4.5 g protein, 12. 2 g fat, 47.7 g carb., 1.4 mg iron, 55 mg calcium, 246 mg sodium, 1.5 g fiber, 306 calories