Cinnamon Raisin Coffee Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons white (distilled) vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup liquid
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup melted shortening
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, butter and cinnamon until well blended; set aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and remaining 1/2 cup sugar into large bowl.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl; add vinegar mixture and mix well.
- Blend in raisins
and shortening. Pour egg mixture all at once into flour mixture; stir just until
- Spread half of batter in greased 8-inch square baking pan; sprinkle with
half of cinnamon mixture.
- Top with remaining batter; draw knife through batter several
times to distribute filling slightly.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture and nuts.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.
Makes 16 servings.