Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Cinnamon Twist Coffeecake
Yield: 14 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Cake: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup tube or Bundt pan, or two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt on a piece of waxed paper.
- Beat sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed about 2 minutes, until well-mixed and light.
- Add flour and sour cream alternately to the sugar mixture, beating gently after each addition until it is evenly blended. It should take about 3 additions of each.
- Filling: Mix ingredients.
- Spread about 2 cups of the batter in the pan, then sprinkle with a generous 1/3 cup of filling.
- Cover with a layer of batter, finish the cinnamon-sugar mixture, then cover with remaining batter.
- Bake for about 70 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn onto a rack and cool 10 minutes.
- Glaze: Mix ingredients. The mixture should be somewhat thick. Spoon it over the top of the hot cake (it should melt and run down the sides).
- Let the cake cool about 20 minutes and serve.