Merk's Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla thoroughly.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately
with sour cream, blending after each addition.
- Grease a 10-inch tube pan and line bottom with wax paper. Turn half the batter
- Cream softened butter with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Add nuts and toss
to make crumbly. Place half of mixture over first layer.
- Spread with remaining cake
batter and top with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F 30 to 40 minutes,
or until cake springs back when lightly touched.