Moravian Sugar Cake
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water in which potatoes were cooked
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup butter
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Pecan pieces (optional)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Mix mashed potatoes, sugar, butter, shortening
and salt. When lukewarm, add potato water and yeast mixture.
- Set first mixture aside and let rise in a warm place until spongy.
- Beat in eggs and flour to make a soft dough. Let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and divide dough in half.
- Spread dough evenly into 2 greased 13 x 9-inch pans. Let rise until double in
- Make holes with fingers in rows down dough. Fill with dots of butter and brown
sugar. Be generous.
- Dust with cinnamon and pecan pieces if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans and cool on racks.
- Serve cakes, cut into squares, either warm or cold.
If preferred 4 (9-inch)
cake pans may be substituted for the large pans. Cakes may be frozen after baking.