Baked Cinnamon Applesauce Doughnuts
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water, let stand 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, applesauce, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, eggs and 3 cups
of the flour. Beat at low speed of an electric mixer until moistened, then beat
at medium speed for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups or more of flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough. Turn
out onto a well-floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes);
add enough remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking
- Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and
let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a lightly floured 2 1/2-inch doughnut
- Combine doughnut holes and any remaining scraps of dough; reroll to 1/2-inch
thickness and cut as before.
- Place doughnuts on greased baking sheets; brush tops of doughnuts with the 1/2
cup melted butter. Let rise, uncovered, in a warm, draft-free place for 40 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a large zip-top heavy-duty plastic
bag, and set aside.
- Bake doughnuts at 425 degrees F for 8 minutes or until golden.
- Immediately brush
remaining melted butter over baked doughnuts; add doughnuts to plastic bag. Seal
the bag and shake to coat.
Yield: 3 dozen