Baked Donuts with Raspberry Glaze
These tasty breakfast (or anytime) Baked Donuts with Raspberry Glaze get their light texture from cake flour and pleasant tang from buttermilk.
Prep: 15 min | Bake: 12 min | Yield: 12 donuts
- 2 (6 cavity) doughnut pans
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Challenge Dairy Unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries*, pureed and divided
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) Challenge Dairy Butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted then measured
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter 2 (6-cavity) doughnut pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a blender, puree raspberries and then strain.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup raspberry puree. Reserve remaining raspberry puree for the glaze.
- Combine the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the baking pans, filling each one about three-quarters full. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then place doughnuts onto a cooling tray.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan over low heat. Add sugar, vanilla extract, milk and 1/4 cup raspberry puree and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once donuts have cooled, dip each top into the glaze and then return to cooling rack to let glaze harden.
Be sure to buy the ripest, sweetest berries you can find; the aroma of fresh pureed fruit will have you swooning for sure.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: