- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup fresh apple cider
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Vegetable oil
- Confectioners' sugar
- Beat the eggs and the egg yolks together in large bowl, then gradually add cider and both brown and granulated sugar.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices together and stir into egg mixture along with the melted butter. Stir only enough to mix.
- Turn dough out onto work surface, floured just enough so the dough won't stick as you roll it out. When dough is 1/2-inch thick, cut out donut shapes using a well-floured cutter and let them rest 5 minutes on lightly floured surface. Keep the holes to fry also.
- Heat enough oil to fill your frying kettle to a depth of 2 to 3 inches. When it reaches 365 degrees F, drop 3 to 4 doughnuts in. They should not be crowded. As soon as they float to the top and are holding their shape, turn them. Fry until golden on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove as they are done and drain on absorbent paper.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar when they have cooled a little.
- Let oil return to 365 degrees F before frying a new batch.