French Toast with Brandied Lemon Butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 thick slices of bread that have been cut and left out overnight to dry out
- Powdered sugar, optional
Brandied Lemon Butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3 ounces Brandy or rum
- French Toast: In a shallow dish, beat eggs, sugar, salt, milk and vanilla extract. Soak
bread in the mixture.
- Heat butter over medium high heat and cook each slice
until slightly brown on each side.
- Serve with maple syrup or brandied lemon
butter and lemon slices. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Brandied Lemon Butter: Melt butter over low heat. Spoon off any foam that
forms. Pour into a dish, leaving behind any sediment in the pan. Wash pan, pour
in the clarified butter and sugar. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves. Add
rind, juice and brandy and stir until smooth. Pour over hot French toast.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 1/24/2002 11:03 pm.