Pigs in a Buttermilk Blanket with Maple Drizzle
Breakfast sausages are wrapped in pancake blankets, then drizzled with a mixture
of sour cream and maple syrup.
- 1/2 cup Real California sour cream or crème fraîche
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup Real California buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons Real California butter, melted,
plus more for skillet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 18 (3-inch) links cooked breakfast
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place large rimmed baking sheet in oven.
- In small bowl, combine sour cream and 3 tablespoons maple syrup. Set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, cornstarch, flours, eggs, butter, salt and 2 tablespoons
maple syrup in blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat and lightly brush with butter.
Add 2 tablespoons batter to skillet, tilting to spread in thin, even layer.
Cook one side only until bottom is browned, 30 to 60 seconds. Loosen with spatula
and transfer to plate. Add sausage, wrap like a burrito and transfer to oven.
Repeat with remaining batter and sausages.
- Drizzle wrapped sausages with maple mixture. Serve remaining mixture on
Yield: 18 servings
Reprinted with permission from
the California Milk Advisory Board.