- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup candied pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup candied cherries, chopped
- 1 cup dried apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 1 cup moist shredded coconut
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 8 egg whites
- In very large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, all the fruit and the nuts. Set
- Sift 2 cups flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Cream butter and vanilla extract until fluffy. Add sugar in thirds, beating
until fluffy after each addition.
- Beating only until smooth after addition, alternately add dry the dry ingredients
in fourths, liquids in thirds to the creamed mixture. Finally beat only until
smooth. Do not over beat. Pour batter over the fruit mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites until rounded peaks are formed and egg whites do not
slide when bowl is partially inverted.
- Carefully spread the beaten egg whites over batter and fold together.
a shallow pan containing 2 cups water on the bottom rack of the oven during
- Turn batter into a lightly greased 10 tube pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for about 4 hours or until the cake tests done with
a wooden pick.
- Cool completely.
- Remove from the pan and store in an airtight container.
- If desired, once or twice a week, using a pastry brush, paint the cake with brandy
or rum and store again.
Yield: 4 1/2 pound cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.