Chocolate-Almond Fruit Cake
- 1 cup candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup prune juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blanched almonds, chopped
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Soak fruits in juice overnight.
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Add sugar gradually.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Beat in sifted dry ingredients.
- Drain fruits; add to egg mixture.
- Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour and 50 minutes to 2 hours.