- 3/4 cup candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 5/8 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light cream
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Toss candied orange peel, walnuts and raisins with 2 tablespoons of the
flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar and honey.
- Beat in the egg, then the cream or milk, rum and vanilla extract.
- Stir together the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and the baking powder; beat
into creamed mixture.
- Stir in the fruits and nuts.
- Turn the batter into a greased and floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 325 degrees F.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes longer, or until it tests done with a wooden
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
Yield: one 9 x 5-inch loaf cake