Recipes Made with Cake Mixes

Rhubarb Gooey Butter Cake Bars

A riff on the classic gooey butter cake, these custardy dessert bars are filled with chopped rhubarb. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or top with a from-scratch sweetened whipped cream for an added level of deliciousness! It’s a great potluck treat and travels well.

Rhubarb Gooey Butter Cake Bars recipe

Prep: 15 min | Yield: 24 servings, 1 bar each

Ingredients

Cake Base

  • 1 (15.25 ounce) box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Yellow Cake Mix
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 egg

Filling

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups frozen cut rhubarb, thawed, drained or chopped fresh rhubarb

Topping

  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Instructions

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottom only of a 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray.

Cake Base

  1. In large bowl, stir Cake Base ingredients until well blended. Spread in pan.

Filling

  1. In another large bowl, beat cream cheese and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Beat in 1/2 cup melted butter. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in rhubarb. Pour batter evenly into pan over cake base.
  2. Bake for 38 to 43 minutes or until golden brown on edges and center is set. Cool completely, about 2 hours.

Topping

  1. When ready to serve, sprinkle 1 tablespoon powdered sugar over the top. Using a sharp knife, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows, cleaning knife blade after each cut.

Serving

  1. Serve with whipped cream*.
  2. Store loosely covered in the refrigerator.

Notes

* To make 2 cups whipped cream, place medium deep bowl and beaters in freezer or refrigerator to chill. Place 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar in bowl. Beat on low speed until mixture begins to thicken. Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and then beat on high speed until whipped cream forms soft peaks.

To quickly soften cream cheese, remove from wrapper, and place on microwavable plate; microwave uncovered on High about 15 seconds or just until softened.

Be sure to drain the frozen cut rhubarb well after it's thawed to remove any excess liquid before stirring into filling.

Recipe uses frozen rhubarb (thawed) but can use fresh if it's in season.

Nutrition

Per 1 bar: Calories 260 Calories from Fat 110 Total Fat 12g 19% Saturated Fat 7g 37% Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 60mg 20% Sodium 230mg 10% Potassium 50mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 34g 11% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Sugars 26g Protein 2g

% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 8% Iron 2%

Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Attribution

Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker Kitchens



Follow Us






God's Rainbow - Noahic Covenant