This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Get playful with your food and watch as simple cupcakes take on a little color and turn into super-fun Cupcake Poppers. Start with Betty Crocker cake mix and liven it up with bright colors and fluffy frosting.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 1/4 teaspoon each gel or liquid food colors (neon pink, neon purple, neon orange, neon green, classic blue)
- 1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- Gel or liquid food colors (neon pink, neon purple, neon orange, neon green, classic blue)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 60 mini muffin cups.
- Make cake batter as directed on box. Divide batter among 5 small bowls, about 3/4 cup each.
- Make 5 different colors of batter by adding 1/4 teaspoon food color to each bowl; blend well.
- Fill each muffin cup with 1 level measuring tablespoon batter, making 12 cupcakes of each color.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pan.
- Cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Beat in powdered sugar until fluffy.
- Divide frosting among 5 small bowls, about 1/3 cup each.
- Using the same 5 food colors, lightly tint frosting in each bowl to match the cupcake colors.
- Assemble each popper using 2 mini cupcakes.
- Cut tops off each cupcake horizontally (save bottoms for another use).
- Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon frosting on cut side of 1 cupcake top.
- Form a sandwich by placing cut side of second cupcake top on frosting; press lightly.
- Repeat with remaining cupcake tops.
- Store loosely covered.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 120 (Calories from
Fat 60), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium
100mg; Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 12g), Protein 0g
Exchanges: 1 Other Carbohydrate 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 1
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):