Rhubarb Pound Cake
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine rhubarb and sugar. Cover and cook over very low heat until rhubarb is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Drain, discarding liquid.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla extract together and add to butter mixture.
- On low speed, add flour mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in rhubarb.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth with a spatula and make a lengthwise split 1 inch deep to minimize splitting.
- Bake until cake is browned and a tester comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Unmold and let cool right side up on a wire rack.