Rhubarb Pound Cake
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For Rhubarb: In a small saucepan, combine rhubarb and sugar. Cover and cook over
very low heat until rhubarb is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Drain, discarding liquid.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- For Cake Batter: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla extract together and add to butter mixture.
- On low speed, add flour mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in rhubarb.
- Pour batter into prepared
pan. Smooth with a spatula and make a lengthwise split 1 inch deep to minimize splitting.
- Bake until cake is browned and a tester comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10
- Unmold and let cool right side up on a wire rack.
Yield: 8 servings