Sweet Potato Pound Cake with Cinnamon Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (at room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 (8 ounce) sweet potato, baked, peeled and pureed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Cake: Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sour cream in large bowl until well
- Gradually add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in 1/2 cup sweet potato puree and vanilla extract.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack for 30 minutes.
- Cut around sides of pan with knife. Turn cake out onto rack and cool.
- Cinnamon Sauce: Combine milk and cinnamon sticks in heavy medium saucepan.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to boil.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let steep 15 minutes.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in bowl to blend.
- Slowly beat milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Strain custard into same saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until custard thickens
and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, stirring constantly,
about 15 minutes; do not boil.
- Pour custard into bowl.
- Whisk in sour cream.
- Cover and chill until cold, stirring occasionally. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
- Cut cake into slices and transfer to plates.
- Top with praline or toffee ice cream and sauce.