Apple Gouda Skillet Cake
A delicious old-fashioned recipe for sure, updated with gouda cheese.
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces Wisconsin gouda cheese, shredded and divided (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Combine apples, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and
nutmeg in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Blend flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a separate large bowl.
- Whisk milk, butter and egg in a small bowl. Stir into flour mixture just
until combined. Fold in reserved apple mixture and 1 1/2 cups gouda.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet. Sprinkle with remaining gouda.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center
comes out clean.
- Cool completely before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.