Chocolate Depression Cake
During the Depression, many ingredients were hard to come by. Dessert was a treat so people came up with inexpensive ways to make those treats. Well here is one of those recipes. This cake has no eggs, no milk and no butter. It's absolutely delicious! The sprinkles are a modern-day addition!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Chocolate frosting of your choice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan well with cooking spray.
- In pan, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk lightly with a fork or small whisk to combine.
- Make two small wells on the sides and 1 large well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Pour the vinegar and vanilla extract into the small wells then pour the oil into the big well. If they spill over the wells that's okay.
- Pour the water over the top and whisk again to combine thoroughly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely.