Kentucky Jam Cake
- 1 cup margarine, soft
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup seedless blackberry jam
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Dash of salt
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Cream margarine and sugar until light.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add jam and beat well.
- Add sifted flour, baking soda,
salt, cloves and allspice alternately with buttermilk, beating until smooth.
- Stir in nuts and dates. Pour into 4 (9-inch) layer pans, lined on the bottom
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 35 minutes.
- Cool and spread frosting between layers and on top of cake.
- Frosting: In large saucepan mix all ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover
and cook 3 minutes.
- Uncover and cook to 236 degrees F on a candy thermometer
or until a small amount of mixture forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then beat until thick. If too stiff, add a little hot
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes