- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Pecan halves (optional)
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1/2 cup sliced maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Cream butter: gradually add sugar, beat in well.
- Combine dry ingredients, add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning
and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Stir in vanilla
extract. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Spread filling between layers and on top of cake; spread sides with the
frosting. Garnish with pecan halves, if desired.
- Filling: Combine egg yolks, sugar and butter in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook
over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 20 minutes until thickened. Remove
from heat, and stir in remaining ingredients. Cool completely.
- Frosting: Combine the first 5 ingredients in top of a double boiler; beat 30
seconds at low speed of electric mixer or just until blended. Place over boiling
water; beat constantly on high speed 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove
- Add vanilla extract; beat an additional 1 minute or until the mixture
is thick enough to spread.
Posted by Cookin'Mom at Recipe Goldmine May 11, 2001.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes