Lemon Balm Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 24 lemon balm leaves
- 6 extra large eggs
- 4 extra large egg yolks
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F and generously butter and lightly flour a 13
x 9-inch baking pan.
- Arrange part of the lemon balm leaves in the bottom of
the baking pan, reserving the remaining leaves for the cake.
- Combine eggs, yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat
until pale yellow and very thick.
- Sift the flour with the salt three times.
- Slowly fold the flour into the egg mixture, a third at a time.
- Carefully fold the melted butter into the batter in thirds.
- Fold in the lemon zest and reserved lemon balm leaves.
- Bake the cake in the center of the oven until the top is a pale golden brown
and a cake tester comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Do not over-bake.
- Cool the cake completely before removing from the pan.
- Sprinkle the inverted cake lightly with vanilla sugar.
- Serve plain or with whipped cream if desired.
- Garnish with lemon balm and lemon slices.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes