Lemon Butter Layers with Nut Crunch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs, unbeaten
Lemon Cream Filling
- 1 (4 ounce) box lemon pudding and pie filling mix
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup walnuts or almonds
- Cake: Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter with extract.
- Gradually add sugar, creaming well, 5 to 8 minutes. (The more you beat the better
- Blend in eggs, one at a time; beat 1 minute after each.
- Add the dry ingredients; blend thoroughly. Turn into 9 or 10-inch tube pan, greased on bottom.
- Bake at 325 for 55 to 60 minutes until cake springs back when touched lightly
in center. DO NOT INVERT. Cool.
- Cut cake horizontally to make 4 layers. Stack layers, spreading Filling
and sprinkling 2 tablespoons Nut Crunch on each layer and on top.
- Lemon Cream Filling: Prepare lemon pudding and pie filling mix using sugar
and water. Cool to lukewarm.
- Cream butter.
- Gradually add filling, beating well. Cool thoroughly.
- Nut Crunch: Heat sugar in small skillet until sugar melts and is golden
- Stir in walnuts or almonds. Spread on greased cookie sheet; cool. Crush
fine. (To crush nut mixture, place between sheets of wax paper and crush with
hammer or rolling pin.)