Lemon Crackle Cake
- 20 (2-inch square) soda crackers
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Juice of 2 lemons or 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Crush crackers in bowl; add brown sugar, flour and baking soda.
- Work in butter; add coconut. Pat 3/4 of mixture into a greased and floured 8- or
9-inch baking pan.
- Carefully spread on filling.
- Cover with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Lemon Filling: In saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Cool before adding to cake.