Lemon Gold Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter or solid all-vegetable shortening, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten until thick and lemon colored
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
Luscious Lemon Frosting
- 3 teaspoons grated orange zest (thinnest colored part of peel only)
- Dash of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cake: Heat oven to 375 degrees F . Grease and flour 2 (9-inch-diameter)
- Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and sift together 3 times.
- Cream butter thoroughly, adding sugar gradually; cream until light and fluffy.
- Add yolks and beat well.
- Add flour alternately with milk, a small amount at a time. Beat well.
- Bake in prepared pans for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Spread Luscious Lemon Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Double the recipe to make 3 (10-inch) layers.
- Luscious Lemon Frosting: Add orange zest and salt to butter; cream well.
- Add part of sugar gradually, blending after each addition until smooth.
- Add juice and water.
- For a deeper yellow frosting, tint with yellow food coloring.
Makes enough frosting to cover tops and sides of 2 (9-inch) layers.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes