Lemonade Layer Cake
This cake is lemony inside and out. The combination of frozen lemonade concentrate and fresh lemon zest gives this cake a zingy flavor.
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter,room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons minced lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil
- Lemon zest for garnish
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9-inch-square nonstick cake
pans with 2-inch-high sides; line bottoms with parchment paper; butter paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl; set aside.
- Using electric stand mixer and paddle attachment, beat butter in large bowl
- Gradually add sugar, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally
and beating until light.
- Beat in lemonade concentrate, zest and vanilla extract.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scrapping down sides occasionally. Continue to beat
until mixture is smooth.
- On low speed beat in dry ingredients alternately with
milk in 3 batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, until just blended.
- Divide batter equally between prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
Cool cakes in pans on racks.
- Frosting: Using electric stand mixer and whisk attachment, beat cream cheese
and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, scrapping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in zest, vanilla extract and lemon oil
until mixture is smooth and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- To Assemble: Turn cakes out onto work surface. Peel off parchment paper.
Place one cake layer, flat side up, on platter. Spread with 1 cup frosting.
Top with second cake layer, flat side down. spread remaining frosting over top
and sides of cake.
- Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.
Do-ahead tip: Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; refrigerate.
Optional garnish: Peel off long strips of lemon zest using zester. Sprinkle zest
around edges of cake.