Maraschino Cream Cake
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted twice
- 1 cup maraschino cherry syrup (from a large bottle of cherries)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped
- Maraschino cherries for decoration
- Fill bottom of double boiler with water, and bring to a boil. Remove from
- Combine eggs, the 2/3 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract in top
of the double boiler. Beat over hot water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove top of
double boiler from the heat and continue to whip for 8 minutes on high speed.
- Fold in the flour. Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool.
- Slice the cake into 3 thin layers.
- Sprinkle with Maraschino cherry syrup
flavored with the almond extract.
- Cover each layer with whipped cream flavored
with the 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Decorate the top of the cake with whipped cream and whole cherries.