Mayonnaise Spice Cake
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 scant cup hot water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- Combine the raisins, nuts, baking soda and hot water and allow to soak for
- Blend together the mayonnaise, sugar, vanilla extract, cloves and cinnamon.
- Fold this mixture alternately with the raisin mixture into the flour.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9-inch square baking pan and
bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
Source: The Farmers Almanac 1976