Melt-In-Your-Mouth Blueberry Cake
A wonderful light summer dessert and especially good for picnics. A family favorite!
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour plus 1 tablespoon for coating blueberries
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Cinnamon sugar for topping
- 1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well and flour an 8-inch square baking
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat in 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Cream margarine; add salt, vanilla extract and remaining sugar gradually.
- Add egg yolks and beat until creamy.
- Sift flour with baking powder. Add alternately to creamed mixture with milk.
- Fold in beaten egg whites. Coat blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Fold in berries. Turn into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Wrap any leftovers and store in refrigerator.
May be frozen.
Source: The Maine Collection (New England)