Mexican Chocolate Cake with
Caramel Cream Frosting
Blend south-of-the-border flavors for this rich, cinnamon-scented chocolate cake topped with an easy cream cheese frosting.
- 3/4 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (13.4 ounce) can dulce de leche (caramelized sweetened condensed milk)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottoms and sides of 2 (9-inch) round
cake pans with cooking spray, then line bottoms of pans with cooking parchment
paper or waxed paper.
- In medium bowl, beat coffee, cocoa and cinnamon with wire whisk until smooth;
set aside to cool slightly.
- In another medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until
well blended; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on high speed until
creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; set aside.
- Stir buttermilk and vanilla extract into coffee mixture. Starting with flour
mixture, alternately beat flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, and coffee mixture,
1/3 at a time, into butter mixture on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
When all ingredients have been added, beat 30 to 60 seconds longer or until
batter is smooth and well blended. Pour into pans.
- Bake for 32 to 37 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes
out clean and cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool in pans on cooling racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans to cooling racks (leave paper on cakes). Cool completely,
about 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat dulce de leche and cream cheese on high speed about
2 minutes or until blended and smooth; scrape side of bowl. Beat in whipping
cream until stiff peaks form.
- On serving plate, place 1 cake, rounded side down; remove paper liner. Spread
3/4 cup of the frosting over top to within 1/2 inch of edge. Remove paper from
other cake. Place cake, rounded side up, on first cake. Frost side and top of
cake with remaining frosting.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving.
Prep Time: 25 min | Yield: 12 servings
Dulce de leche, a caramelized condensed milk, can be found in the sweetened condensed
milk section at the grocery store.
Nutrition Information 1 Serving Calories 530 (Calories from Fat 230)
% Daily Value Total Fat 25g 25% (Saturated Fat 15g, 15% Trans Fat 1g 1%),
Cholesterol 115mg 115%; Sodium 450mg 450%; Total Carbohydrate 67g 67% (Dietary Fiber
2g 2% Sugars 46g 46%), Protein 9g 9%
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 4 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1 High-Fat Meat; 3 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes