- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup raisins, puffed and chopped
- 1 cup grated coconut, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 recipe Seven Minute Icing
Seven Minute Icing
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy; then beat in egg yolks.
- Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture.
- Add baking powder and salt with the last addition of flour.
- Fold in almond extract and egg whites.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes in 2 greased and floured 8-inch square
- Cool and remove from pans.
- Filling: Make Seven Minute Icing. Puff raisins by steaming in a colander
- Reserve 1/2 cup coconut; mix all other filling ingredients with Seven
- Use filling between layers and on top of cooled cake. Ice top and sides
of cake with a second recipe of Seven Minute Icing and sprinkle reserved 1/2
cup coconut on top.
- Seven Minute Icing: Place ingredients except vanilla extract in top of double
boiler and beat until thoroughly blended. Place over rapidly boiling water.
Beat constantly with rotary beater for 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Continue beating until mixture
reaches spreading consistency.
Cake is better if prepared the day before.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes