Mocha Sheet Cake with Pecans
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee or 1 tablespoon instant coffee, dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jellyroll
- Stir 1/2 cup butter, coffee, 1/2 cup cocoa and vegetable oil in heavy, small
saucepan over medium heat until smooth. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl until blended.
- Whisk in cocoa mixture.
- Whisk buttermilk, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in medium bowl until
blended. Add to flour mixture and blend well.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer cake to rack.
- Meanwhile, stir milk and remaining 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup cocoa in heavy,
medium saucepan over medium heat until smooth. Bring mixture to boil, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add confectioners' sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and whisk
- Spread frosting over warm cake. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Cool cake completely and serve.
Yield: 16 to 20 servings