Mother Lode Carrot Cake
with Cream Cheese Frosting
I think this is the best. I like 'em HEAVY and rich and fiddled with one
and came up with this incredible cake! Easy? What good thing is?
- 1 (12 to 14 ounce) bag frozen carrots
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon (divided)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups corn oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup drained, crushed pineapple
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 9 tablespoons sweet butter, room temperature
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and drop in 1 tablespoon cinnamon with
frozen carrots. Boil until carrots are tender; drain but do not rinse.
- Puree carrots and cinnamon in a processor or blender and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch springform pans (You could
also use 3 - 9-inch cake pans, grease and cut a parchment circle to fit the
bottom; greasing parchment. Bake for less time and test as suggested below.)
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, 1 tablespoon
cinnamon, allspice and cardamom.
- Add oil, eggs and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, beating well until combined.
- Fold in walnuts, coconut, pineapple and carrot puree.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake on the middle rack for 50 minutes or until
edges pull away from the sides and cake tester comes out clean when inserted
near the center.
- Cool on rack for 3 hours before removing from pan.
- Frosting: Cream together the cream cheese and sweet butter in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add the sifted powdered sugar and continue to beat until smooth and free
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Frost cake and serve.
Cake also freezes well if you wrap in plastic wrap and then foil.
Posted by artsycook at recipegoldmine.com.