This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
This bread keeps well and packs well.
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
- Combine cornmeal, water, oil, syrup and salt.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Drop the batter by tablespoons into the hot oil. Flatten
with a spatula and fry cakes until they are crisp and browned on both sides. Add
more oil as needed.