This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Dutch Oven Hopi Indian Fry Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- Ignite about 15 to 20 charcoal briquettes and arrange in a pile in your fire
pan. Let burn until they are covered with ash (about 20 minutes).
- Melt Crisco in the Dutch oven for a depth of about 2 inches.
- Stir flour, dry milk, baking powder, salt and water together and knead on floured
board. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Cut dough into 8 sections, then flatten out to 2 inches thick.
- Drop sections of dough into the hot oil to fry about 2 minutes or until done.
- Roll in cinnamon and sugar.