Butter Gum Balls
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put all the ingredients into the saucepan and stir over a low heat until the mixture becomes a beautiful toffee color, and quite thick. This will take about 25 to 30 minutes. It is important that you stir for the whole time, otherwise it will burn at the bottom.
- Cover a large tray with nonstick baking parchment. Put teaspoon-size blobs of the mixture onto the paper, spaced well apart.
- Allow the blobs to get completely cold and then shape into balls by rolling them between your palms. If the mixture doesn't hold its shape, it means that it needs to be cooked a little longer; so put it back on the stove and start stirring all over again.
- If you are going to give a few away as presents, cut squares of foil and wrap each Butter Gum Ball like a Christmas cracker.
Source: Las Vegas Review-Journal - Wednesday, October 24, 2001