Candied Grapefruit Peel
Pretty glass jars packed with candied peel make wonderful Christmas gifts.
- Peels from 3 grapefruits, cut into large pieces
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Place grapefruit peels in a saucepan and cover them water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the peels are soft. Drain the peels; remove bitter white pith with a paring knife, leaving just the skin. Slice the peel into thin strips.
- In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, the 1 cup water and corn syrup; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, and add the strips of peel. Cook the strips until they become translucent, about 45 to 50 minutes, depending on their thickness.
- Remove the strips with a slotted spoon, and drain them. Sprinkle a thick layer of sugar onto a large plate. Spoon the peel strips onto the sugar, and toss them with a fork to coat them evenly. Transfer the strips to a large sheet of wax paper, and let them dry for about 1 to 2 hours.
- Store the peel, covered, at room temperature. It will keep at least 2 weeks.