Chocolate Covered Cherry Marshmallows
A delicious version of simple to make marshmallows.
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water, use divided
- 4 envelopes (10 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry liquid
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 – 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Brush a 12 x 9-inch baking dish with oil. Line it with plastic wrap and brush
the wrap with more oil.
- Put the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 3/4 cup water in a heavy medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once the mixture
comes to a boil, continue to cook without stirring until the mixture registers between
238 and 245 degrees F on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.
- While the sugar mixture is cooking, dissolve the gelatin in the remaining 3/4
cup water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Let stand
for at least 5 minutes.
- When the sugar mixture comes to the correct temperature, turn the mixer on low
speed and very carefully pour it into the gelatin mixture. Increase the speed to
high and beat for 15 minutes or until very thick and stiff. Add the vanilla and
maraschino cherry liquid and mix well. Add the chopped cherries and mix in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and smooth the top with a large spatula.
Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight.
- The next day, sift about a cup of powdered sugar onto a work surface, unmold
the marshmallows on top of the powdered sugar, and peel off the plastic wrap. Sift
more powdered sugar on top. Brush a long, thin, sharp knife with oil and cut the
mixture into 1 inch squares. Sift more powdered sugar over the marshmallows and
roll each one to coat until no longer sticky.
- Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until
most of the chips are melted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth and glossy.
Let the chocolate cool. Dip the marshmallows into the chocolate.
- Turn the marshmallows chocolate side up and let the chocolate harden.
Cook: 45 min | Serves: 36
Can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container or food storage bag in
By Carol Kicinski at Simply Gluten-Free.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Cherry Marketing Institute
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Boiled Candy Recipes