Festive Peppermint Marshmallows
Yield: 40 marshmallows (1 per serving)
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatine
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Generously dust an 11 x 7 1/2 x 2 inch baking dish with confectioners' sugar.
- Sprinkle gelatine on 1/2 cup cold water in large bowl to soften; set aside.
- Heat granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/2 cup water in a 2 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Heat to boiling; cook without stirring to 250 degrees F on a candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a ball that holds its shape but is pliable; remove from heat.
- Slowly pour syrup into softened gelatine while beating with electric mixer on high speed. Beat on high speed until mixture is white and has almost tripled in volume. Add peppermint extract; beat on high speed 1 minute. Pour into pan. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, patting lightly with hands. Let stand uncovered at least 8 hours.
- Turn pan upside down to remove marshmallow mixture onto board. Cut into shapes with miniature cookie cutters or knife dipped in water to keep from sticking.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 weeks.
Package marshmallows in a plastic bag, and tie with curly ribbon.
Place bags of marshmallows in oversized mugs along with packages of gourmet cocoa.
Per Serving: 56 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); trace Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 26mg Sodium
Exchanges: 1 Other Carbohydrates