- 3/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- In heavy 2-quart saucepan, dissolve coffee powder in water. Add 1 cup sugar;
stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Do not allow to boil. Stir in Kahlua.
Brush down sides of pan with pastry brush dipped frequently into cold water. Bring
mixture to a boil over medium heat. Do not stir. Boil until candy thermometer registers
240 to 242 degrees F, about 15 minutes, adjusting heat if necessary to prevent boiling
over. Mixture will be very thick. Remove from heat (temperature will continue to
- Immediately beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gradually
beat hot Kahlua syrup into egg whites, beating after each addition to thoroughly
mix. Continue beating for 4 to 5 minutes or until meringue is very thick, firm and cooled
- Line baking sheet with foil, shiny side down. Using pastry bag fitted with large
(#6) star tip, pipe meringue into kisses about 1 1/2 inches high onto baking sheet.
- Set on center rack of 200 degree F oven for 4 hours.
- Without opening door, turn heat off and let kisses dry in oven 2 more hours or
- Remove from oven; cool completely on pan.
- Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen.
Source: New Treasury of Christmas Recipes