This is the original version of Knox Gelatine's famous candy. The new, updated
version calls for 5 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatine. Knox Gelatine still gets
many requests for this recipe.
- 4 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatine
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups boiling
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red and green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract (not powder)*
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint
- Heat sugar, salt and boiling water to boiling point. Soften gelatine in cold
water. Add to hot syrup and stir until dissolved. Boil slowly for 15 minutes.
- Remove from fire and divide into two equal parts. Color one part a delicate red
and flavor with cinnamon extract; color the other part a delicate green and flavor
with peppermint extract.
- Rinse two pans (about 8 x 4 inches) in cold water, and pour in candy mixture
to the depth of about three-fourths inch and put in a cool place (not a refrigerator),
allowing candy to thicken for at least twelve hours.
- With a wet sharp knife, loosen around edges of pan, put out on board lightly
covered with confectioners' sugar.
- Cut into cubes and roll in confectioners'
or fine granulated sugar.
* You can also use 10 drops oil of cinnamon. Or substitute lemon: add 3 tablespoons
lemon juice and 2 teaspoons lemon extract to one part of the candy and leave it
uncolored or tine pale yellow. You also can substitute 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
for either the cinnamon or the peppermint. Other flavor suggestions include using
2 teaspoons coconut extract.