Old Fashioned Sponge Candy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark Karo syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon molasses
tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda, sifted
- Cook the first four ingredients to hard crack stage (300 degrees F), stirring
occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Remove from heat. Add 1 tablespoon sifted baking
soda. Stir well enough to mix in soda, but being careful not to break down volume
as the mixture foams up.
- Again being careful not to break down the bubbles, pour
into 8 x 10-inch slightly greased metal pan. Do not spread, just move the pan around
so it gets disturbed. It will settle some. When cooled, this will be a hard, honeycomb
- After cooled, tip upside down on bread board and cut straight down with tip
of sharp knife into irregular shapes.
- Over warm, not boiling, water, melt 12 ounces real chocolate chips, 1 square
bitter chocolate and 1/4 to 1/8 bar of paraffin.
- Dip each piece into chocolate until
covered on all sides.
- Lay on wax paper.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine April 30, 2001.