Old Fashioned Sponge Candy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark Karo syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda, sifted
- Cook the first four ingredients to hard crack stage (300 degrees F), stirring
occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Remove from heat. Add 1 tablespoon sifted baking
soda. Stir well enough to mix in soda, but being careful not to break down volume
as the mixture foams up.
- Again being careful not to break down the bubbles, pour
into 8 x 10-inch slightly greased metal pan. Do not spread, just move the pan around
so it gets disturbed. It will settle some. When cooled, this will be a hard, honeycomb
- After cooled, tip upside down on bread board and cut straight down with tip
of sharp knife into irregular shapes.
- Over warm, not boiling, water, melt 12 ounces real chocolate chips, 1 square
bitter chocolate and 1/4 to 1/8 bar of paraffin.
- Dip each piece into chocolate until covered on all sides.
- Lay on wax paper.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine April 30, 2001.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.