Red Peanut Patties
Peanuts are a very large crop in Texas. Goodart makes the original peanut patty
which is sold in cafes and gas stations throughout Texas.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups raw peanuts
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Few drops red food coloring
- Lay a large piece of wax paper on a dishtowel on a counter.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, peanuts, corn syrup and water. Cook the mixture
to soft ball stage (240 degrees F), stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients, adding enough
food coloring to get a very bright red shade. Stir the mixture frequently for approximately
20 minutes, or until it cools to about 125 degrees F. The mixture will become very
thick and creamy opaque, and the peanuts will be suspended.
- Immediately spoon the mixture into large patties on the sheet of wax paper. Let
the patties sit for at least 1 hour before eating them. Their texture should be
chewy like nougat.
- Wrap them in plastic wrap for storage. They will keep for about