Red Peanut Patties
These are just like the old-fashioned ones wrapped in cellophane that you can
still buy in some stores today.
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2
cups raw peanuts
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
paste food coloring
- Cook sugar, white corn syrup, milk and raw peanuts slowly until they reach the
soft ball stage on a candy thermometer. This may take 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and add butter, confectioners' sugar and enough red paste
food coloring to make a bright red. Stir until the mixture begins to thicken "real
- Drop by big spoonsful onto wax paper.
- When cool, wrap each in plastic wrap.