Butter Crunch Candy
Butter Crunch Mixture
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped, about 4 ounces
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, tempered
- 1 cup
toasted almonds, chopped, about 4 ounces
- 1 (12 x 18-inch) pan, buttered and lined with buttered
- 2 large cutting cutting boards
- Jellyroll pans or cardboard pieces, covered
- To make the butter crunch mixture, melt the butter in a saucepan. Remove
from heat and stir in sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring occasionally,
until the mixture reaches 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat, stir in almonds, and pour out into prepared pan, spreading
the mixture with the back of a spoon to fill the pan. Before the butter crunch
hardens, but when it is firm enough to handle, turn it out onto a large parchment-covered
cutting board and peel away the foil. Allow the butter crunch to cool completely.
- To finish the butter crunch, wipe the top surface of the candy with a damp
paper towel to remove excess butter and allow drying a few minutes. Have another
cutting board or the back of a jellyroll pan ready to turn the candy over onto.
Use a small offset metal icing spatula to spread half the tempered chocolate
quickly over the butter crunch. Scatter half the chopped almonds over the chocolate.
Cover this finished surface with a piece of parchment paper or foil and place
another cutting board or the back of a large jellyroll pan. Remove top board
and paper and quickly spread with remaining tempered chocolate and scatter on
remaining almonds (it isn't necessary to wipe the second side because it
wasn't against a buttered surface).
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to set chocolate.
- Break the butter crunch into 2-inch pieces.
- Store candy in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting cover and
keep at a cool room temperature for up to a week.
Posted by Chefbuzzbuzz at Recipe Goldmine 8/8/2001 3:42 am.